SO YOU BOUGHT A PROPERTY IN ST. MAARTEN…
Often times, in our day-to-day interactions with colleagues in the real estate sector, as well vacation home-owners that have their primary home abroad, we run into this scenario. Many people that have purchased real estate on the island don’t even realize that this may give them the option to apply and likely qualify to obtain legal residency on the island. Having legal residency on the island is helpful if you wish to transition into a more “permanent” Caribbean lifestyle – not to mention, it’ll save you the long lines at the airport on arrival!
As the most recognized immigration services provider on the island, we at BrightPath are happy to provide you with the services required. However, it is important that you gather your paperwork to start the process. Below is a checklist with the items you’ll need to have on hand to start the process:
- A color copy of your passport, all pages included
- Original birth certificate, legalized by a Dutch Embassy or bearing an apostille stamp. Neither item can have a date of issue older than 3 years. If issued in a language other than Dutch or English, a certified translation will be required
- Original police record issued within the past 6 months. Also, if issued in a language other than Dutch or English, a certified translation will be required
- If married, widowed, and/or divorced: Original marriage/death and/or divorce certificate, legalized by a Dutch Embassy or bearing an apostille stamp. Neither item can have a date of issue older than 3 years. If issued in a language other than Dutch or English, a certified translation will be required
- Evidence by way of deed of transfer that a property has been purchased in St Maarten for an amount equal or greater to USD 255,000
As an added service, we can also assist in obtaining the required certificates and/or related legalizations depending on your country of origin.
If you are looking to purchase a property in Sint Maarten, but don’t know where to start, contact our sister company, BrightFuture Caribbean.
Our agents are ready to guide you through the process of finding the perfect property!
Do you have any questions?
Disclaimer: Our articles are not intended as (legal) advice and do not take your personal circumstances into consideration. BrightPath does not accept any liability for damages resulting from using the provided information. We highly recommend you to seek personalized advice from us or before you act or fail to act because of the content of our articles. BrightPath is a privately-owned consulting firm that assists clients with filing applications for residence permits and/or business licenses at the relevant government departments. None of our directors, employees or agents hold or have held any position with the government of Sint Maarten and our service does not provide for any preferential treatment with regards to any application. All information provided and statements made only serve to provide you with a general understanding of immigration, residence and business incorporation procedures on Sint Maarten.
Share this content
This might interest you…
Do you want to retire in the Caribbean, but can’t decide on an island? Keep reading to learn why St. Maarten is a top retirement destination in the Caribbean!
Are you an American citizen that’s planning on visiting St. Maarten as a tourist and wondering how long you can stay here? BrightPath Caribbean is your most reliable source for up-to-date information regarding travel requirements to Sint Maarten. As of this publication in July 2020, American citizens do NOT need a visa to visit St. Maarten and can stay up to six (6) months uninterrupted.
If you’re considering living and working in the Caribbean island of St Maarten, here is a useful checklist of documents we will require you to present in order for us to process your immigration request. At BrightPath, we are aware of our responsibility as the most recognized immigration services provider in the region and we thank you for choosing us! If you have questions, or if we can be of service feel free to reach out to us.