What documents do I need to start a business in Sint Maarten
Follow us on Social Media
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO OPEN A BUSINESS IN ST. MAARTEN
At BrightPath Caribbean, we can provide you with fully integrated and comprehensive services to facilitate you in starting your business in St Maarten.
In order to start a business in St. Maarten, a “Business License” based on the “Vestigingsregeling voor Bedrijven” Ordinance must first be issued. This can be done in the form of a sole proprietorship, a limited liability company (N.V. or B.V.) or other as regulated in the Civil Code.
The following require a business license:
- Dutch nationals not born on St. Maarten, Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius.
- Foreign nationals
- A limited liability company (N.V./B.V.) or other entity
- A locally established sole proprietorship
Trust the experts at BrightPath to guide you in establishing the necessary articles of incorporation for your limited liability company. Additionally, we (BrightPath) submit the request for a Director and Business License at the Minister of Tourism Economic Affairs, Transport & Telecommunication (TEATT) along with other documents required on the client’s behalf.
Kindly take note of the following:
- A nonrefundable processing fee must be paid by the applicant
- Once the Director’s license is approved, a residence permit is required for the foreign national who intends to live on St. Maarten. This must be done by requesting a residence permit at the Department of Immigration, Border Protection Services. Find out more about immigration services at BrightPath by contacting us.
- In addition to a business license, an Operational License may be required for some businesses. This request is submitted at the TEATT, via the Department of Economic Licenses.
Do you have any questions?
Disclaimer: Our articles are not intended as (legal) advice and do not take your personal circumstances into consideration. BrightPath does not accept any liability for damages resulting from using the provided information. We highly recommend you to seek personalized advice from us or before you act or fail to act because of the content of our articles. BrightPath is a privately-owned consulting firm that assists clients with filing applications for residence permits and/or business licenses at the relevant government departments. None of our directors, employees or agents hold or have held any position with the government of Sint Maarten and our service does not provide for any preferential treatment with regards to any application. All information provided and statements made only serve to provide you with a general understanding of immigration, residence and business incorporation procedures on Sint Maarten.
Share this content
This might interest you…
Are you an American citizen that’s planning on visiting St. Maarten as a tourist and wondering how long you can stay here? BrightPath Caribbean is your most reliable source for up-to-date information regarding travel requirements to Sint Maarten. As of this publication in July 2020, American citizens do NOT need a visa to visit St. Maarten and can stay up to six (6) months uninterrupted.
If you are a citizen of the United States and you are considering starting a business, working, or retiring in the Caribbean, here are some reasons why Sint Maarten should be on the top of your list. As the most recognized regional immigration services provider, operating throughout the English-speaking Caribbean, the team at BrightPath can offer you objective advice, as well as reliable immigration and relocation services in order for you and your family to safely move to the Caribbean.