Guide to Sint Maarten Residency
WHAT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER
BrightPath continues to be the most trusted and reliable source for immigration and relocation services in St Maarten and the Eastern Caribbean region. If you are considering making St Maarten your home and obtaining legal residency on the island, congratulations on making it this far!
Here are some brief points we put together on what you need to know about obtaining legal residency in St Maarten:
1. Source all of your documentation in an organized and timely manner. Although immigration residency programs vary in their respective list of requirements, some items are standard throughout, namely,
- Birth certificate which must be presented in original and its respective issue date must be within three years. A legalization by a Dutch Embassy or an apostille stamp from the issuing country is a requirement.
- Police clearance certificate (Certificate of good conduct) is also a requirement for every applicant 16 years of age or older. This document must be in original form and dated within 6 months from date of submission of application.
- Valid health insurance from a locally licensed insurance agent. If issued from an insurance carrier abroad, evidence of coverage in St Maarten must be substantiated.
2. Moving with family? Consider that if you are relocating with your family, aside from the items above, it is important to include
- Locally issued school letter confirming school enrollment. This is applicable to children ages 4 and over.
- Marriage certificate as well as Divorce/Death certificates from any and all previous marriage(s). These too must be presented in original and its respective issue date must be within three years. A legalization by a Dutch Embassy or an apostille stamp from the issuing country is a requirement.
3. Ensure to have sufficient reserves: verifiable by way of bank letter addressed to “St Maarten Immigration & Border Protection Services.” The document must be in original format and an amount must be explicitly stated and dated within 90 days from submission of your immigration request.
4. Hire a trusted and licensed firm: to guide you along the way. At BrightPath, we specialize in dedicated immigration advice and services. It is important to have the right guidance and expertise in order to successfully apply for your legal stay under the right immigration programs and to ensure that you match the required criteria.
Do you have any questions?